Akamai NetSession Interface is secured tool or application that is present in most of the computers with Windows 10 OS. Nowadays, Akamai Netsession Interface is used for the better performance of Computer. It helps in improving the speed, reliability and the efficiency of a computer. It is also used by many software and media tools for better stability of programs.
What is Akamai NetSession?
Akamai Netsession helps to download and stream the content when any software or user is seeking to stream media online. Most of the content publishers allow data exchange when the user is signed-in and the exchange takes place in the background of the computer. Whenever a user is downloading or streaming media online, Akamai Netsession interacts with the online server and starts delivering content by downloading it in background. These files are temporary and get stored in Windows Temp Folder. Akamai NetSession Interface is a shared network library that may be used by multiple applications.
When this feature is enabled in the computer, Akamai NetSession Interface starts using a very less amount of bandwidth available for internet connection. It enables to download pieces of content form the internet slowly. This tool runs in the background of the computer by consuming very less amount of memory and other CPU resources for the data exchange.
What is Akamai NetSession Interface?
Akamai Netsession Interface is a software that helps to deliver faster and secure downloads. It is an extension that lets you download data more easily. Being completely secure and safe, it also supports HTTPS and SSL Securities too. It is neither spyware nor an intrusive software.
Many users confuse it with a threat to their security but it is not a security threat also. All the private data or settings are completely safe when used in the Akamai Netsession Interface. This tool is installed in a computer and can be removed any time you seek. It can be found in the following locations depending on the type of operating system.
On Windows, open your Windows Control Panel, then click the icon or link to the Akamai NetSession Interface Control Panel
On Mac OS X, the Akamai extension icon is found under Other –> Akamai on the System Preferences pane
What is Akamai NetSession Client?
Netsession Client is a console that basically reviews your online streaming activity and manages the settings for it. Akamai Netsession Client is completely safe and secure. Therefore it does not contain any spyware adware or any virus. There are no chances that your personal data can be stolen using Akamai Netsession. It is basically used to improve the speed and reliability of your computer.
This tool is used for download or streaming any content only when allowed. There is no way that without your permission any of the data hets shared on the internet. Usually, content providers ask the signup and then start the exchange of data. For example, a sports site may offer highlights delivered automatically. If you signed up, the highlights will be pre-delivered to your system as they are available.
Effect on Upload or Download Speed
Netsession interface runs in the background of the computer and consumes a very less and negligible amount of CPU and its resources. It uses very less download and uploads bandwidth along very minor CPU usage that never crosses 0.5% of CPU memory. Whereas in many cases, users have reported that computer that has been used with high bandwidth usage has experienced reduced performance for downloading.
However, if you suspect that to be the case, and if you have the upload capability enabled for NetSession, you can pause or disable uploads and see if that makes a difference. But this can make your current downloads to drop.
On every download and streaming, Akamai NetSession connects from the source. After connecting with source Netsession interface starts uploading and downloading the different packs of data for exchange. Sometimes due to updates or other files streaming, hidden akamai netsession interface starts consuming high CPU and resources. At this point, the user starts experiencing Unexpected Uploading.
Usually restarting the computer solves the problem but if it still persists, then you can use Windows troubleshooter. To run the troubleshooter for Akamai follow the steps listed below:
- Open Akamai Netsession Interface Control Panel,
- Choose the Support tab in the NetSession Control Panel and run the Troubleshooting Report.
- As the report is generated, it will tell if it finds any simple problems occurring.
- If that doesn’t resolve your issue,
- select the Applications tab in the Control Panel and contact the Customer Support for the application you were attempting to download or stream.
Stop Akamai NetSession Client:
User can stop Akamai Netsession anytime but it would be for a temporary period. After the computer is restarted, Akamai tools start working again. To disable Akamai Services follow the steps below.
- Run the Control Panel,
- Select the Preferences tab,
- Under Service, click the Stop button,
- The button will change to “Start” and you can click the Start button to restart the service at any time.
- The service automatically starts up again when you reboot or restart your machine.
Uninstall Akamai NetSession Interface
Uninstalling the Akamai NetSession Interface is not suggested. Still sometimes when it is causing high download and upload, you can uninstall the tool anytime. Since this tool is important we suggest not to delete it. It is a shared network that is being used by multiple applications. Follow the below steps to uninstall Akamai from your PC:
NOTE: If you do decide to uninstall this service, you will have to delete the files downloaded to the NetSession cache folder. However, if you don’t want to delete those files, then you can copy or move them to a different folder before you uninstall. Normally, you will find the downloaded files on On
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai or,
On Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Akamai or,
On Macintosh OS X: /Users//Applications/Akamai
Uninstall In Windows
- In the Windows Control Panel, run Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Akamai NetSession Interface
- Click Change/Remove, then click Yes to confirm your choice.
- Use the Finder to go to the NetSession Interface installation folder, which is normally ~/Applications/Akamai/,
- Double-click the uninstaller app and confirm your decision,
If these preferred methods do not work for some reason, you can try the following alternative.
Download Xpadder free Turn your Windows Into A gaming Supercomputer.
- Select Command Prompt from the Start menu, or select Run on the Start menu, type “cmd” into the Open text box, then click OK.
- Go to the NetSession installation folder. This is the same location as described above (i.e., the location of the Cache folder).
- Type the command:
admintool.exe uninstall -force
- Press the Enter key to complete the task.
On Mac OS:
- In the Application -> Utilities folder and double-left click Terminal.
- Go to the Akamai NetSession Interface installation folder, which is normally
- Type the command
./admintool uninstall -force
- Press the Enter (Return) key to complete the task.
Another alternative method on Mac OS in case the above fails, for example, due to corrupted or missing admintool:
- In the Application -> Utilities folder, double-left click Terminal.2.
- Go to the Akamai NetSession Interface installation folder, which is normally
- Type the following lines, and after typing each line, press the Enter\
- (Return) key to complete the command:
launchctl unload ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.akamai.client.plist
rm -rf ~/Applications/Akamai
rm -rf ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.akamai.single-user-client.plist
rm -rf ~/Library/PreferencePanes/AkamaiNetSession.prefPane
- If the NetSession client isn’t stopped when you have gone through these steps, restart your computer to complete the operation.
netsession_win.exe Akamai Netsession Client
- Go to the NetSession installation folder, which is normally either
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Akamai (on newer versions of Windows) or
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai (on older versions of Windows).
- Right-click the component file in question and choose Properties from the menu that appears.
- Select the Digital Signatures tab and check that there is listed a signature from “Akamai NetSession Client, Akamai Technologies, Inc.” and that the signature is marked as OK.
On Mac OS X:
- In the Applications -> Utilities folder, double-click Terminal.
- Go to the NetSession installation folder, which is normally
"~/Applications/Akamai/" by entering the command
- Check if the component file in question has a valid signature. For example, let’s check netsession_mac. Enter command:
codesign -vvR '= anchor trusted' netsession_mac
- Check that the command provided output similar to the following:
netsession_mac: valid on disk
netsession_mac: satisfies its Designated Requirement
netsession_mac: explicit requirement satisfied
- Check if the component file has been released by Akamai. Enter command:
codesign -dvv netsession_mac 2>&1 | grep ^Authority | head -n 1
- Check that the command provided output similar to the following