Avast Antivirus has become the most popular and most used Antivirus software, especially for Windows for more than a decade now. Leaving AVG far behind avast has captured the majority of PCs in the commercial uses. Avast Adapted the feature from AVG Antivirus i.e. Behavior Shield and named it as Avast Behavior Shield.
There are many reports from the users in various avast and technical forums that Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off, often causing High CPU usage in Windows OS. The reason behind this is the misconfiguration in Avast Settings or loading when the PC is restarted.
If the same problem persists with your computer where the avast behavior shield is either not working or causing high CPU usage, then simply read out the solutions we have listed.
What is Avast Behavior Shield And What It Do?
Developed by AVG and then accommodated in Avast, Behavior Shield is basically real-time protection that comes embedded in Avast Antivirus. It helps in creating a real-time protection environment for the computer and block any kind of incoming threats. It helps the system from getting corrupted or blocks any incoming infections.
image source: Microsoft Windows 10
Behavior Shield in Avast detects any kind of malware or infection when the PC is connected to the internet or any other external memory devices. The shield simply scans the incoming files to scan them with the Avast database of infections and viruses. It then blocks the threats entering into your system files.
Behavior shield in Avast or AVG works in realtime to protect the computer from any kind of threat, infections, malware, viruses, etc. This shield is embedded by default in the antivirus so it works automatically on the PC. It is an automatic process that starts with the system restart and can be turned off anytime manually.
image Source: Avast.com
Recommended Settings Of Behavior Shield
Since Avast Behavior Shield works in the realtime environment and turns on automatically with a system restart. However, the behavior shield in Avast can be disabled manually anytime but is recommended to keep the Avast behavior shield enabled. Configuration changes should be made only if you know well about the malware protection principles.
Behavior Shield Settings in Avast can be modified from the settings tab that is present in the left side of the avast dashboard. You can change any setting from it and can save the changes to disable avast behavior shield manually in Windows 10, 8, 7, & XP.
Settings to always keep;
There are three main settings that tells avast what to do with any incoming threat or malware. You can change the settings to any incoming threat by simply selecting any one of the following options:
- Always Ask: When selected, for every threat that is detected by behavior shield, Avast asks the user to choose the action fo the occuring threat. User can either remove, ignore, or simply move the threat virus chest.
- Automatically Move threat to Virus Chest: This Option is selected by default in Avast antivirus. This option automatically detects, blocks and move all incoming suspicious files to virus chest.
- Add Exclusions: This the third option which helps the user to add the exceptions to the list of websites or files that you seek not to be scanned and blocked by behavior shield in avast.
It is the simple integrated option that comes in Avast Antivirus. This option helps the user to add any kind of website, file, software, program, etc to a list. When an item is added to avast exclusion lists, then the behavior shield stops blocking the respected files in avast. [READ MORE: How To Add Exceptions in Avast]
FIX: Avast Behavior Shield Keeps Turning Off
After Avast 2018 Antivirus update, users have started experiencing the problem where the behavior shield keeps turning off automatically in avast antivirus. This starts popping up the notification in taskbar “Avast Behavior Shield Stopped Working”. Also, the behavior shield cannot be enabled manually.
Since behavior shield is a necessary part of your computer’s security, it shall always be enabled. This can be caused due to outdated antivirus. In such conditions, the antivirus shall be updated immediately. Updating to the newer version of the avast is recommended because the 2019 version is bug-free. This version does not have the problems of behavior shield in avast antivirus.
image Source: forum.avast.com
There is another solution if you do not seek to update the avast antivirus. Either you can simply change the settings and disable avast behavior shield manually or you can modify the system settings in deep.
Disable Avast Behavior Shield
Behavior Shield in Avast Antivirus is an essential firewall feature that constantly keeps a check on user activities and any incoming threat. In the recent 2018 updates, Avast behavior shield has started experiencing performance glitches. Users have reported high memory usage because of a behavior shield. In many of the cases, users have reported that avast behavior shield memory high usage causes errors in the system.
In many cases, this behavior shield may start showing the high CPU usage and memory usage on Disk. It can lower the speed and performance of the computer. All this can be simply solved when you disable avast behavior shield.
FOLLOW THE STEPS TO DISABLE AVAST BEHAVIOR SHIELD PERMANENTLY:
- Go to Avast Antivirus Dashboard.
- Now click on the settings and components.
- Now click on the third option, i.e. Avast Behavior Shield,
- Now click to disable the Behavior Shield,
- Click on Stop Permanently and Save changes.
This will disable the Behavior Shield from Avast Antivirus permanently. Now the error of Avast High CPU usage due to behavior shield or Shield keeps turning off, would no longer appear as avast behavior shield is now off.
FIX: Avast Behavior Shield High CPU Usage
Sometimes, Avast starts using too much CPU and affect the performance of the computer. The high CPU usage in the avast is caused because of behavior shield as it starts using different computing resources. Since it is not advisable to disable the behavior shield, so you can follow the tips below to keep your PC protected and get rid of High CPU usage.
Remove Avast Cleanup Tool
Avast Cleanup tool helps to clear and end the unused background processes in order to speed up the computer. Sometimes when the behavior shield starts causing trouble in the Windows background, Avast Cleanup utility also terminates the behavior shield and thus the error “Avast Behavior Shield Keeps Turning Off” appears. Removing the avast cleanup tool can help to solve the shield related errors in avast antivirus.
image source: cybergeeksoftware.com
Follow the steps below to remove avast cleanup utility tool.
- Open the Avast Dashboard on your computer,
- Now go to the Settings and click on the Avast Cleanup Utility tool.
- Click on the Arrow located in the corner and choose the uninstall option from the list.
- Click Ok and restart your PC.
NOTE: You can also delete Avast Behavior Shield from the steps mentioned above.
Disable Shield Using Command Prompt
Usually, all antivirus software keeps scanning in the background and so that avast. Different applications running in the background of the PC can use the resources of the PC. This can cause the behavior shield to cause high CPU usage. This process can be stopped permanently using the command prompt tweak. Follow the steps below to disable behavior shield using command prompt.
image source: softlay.net
- Click on the Windows + R and Type CMD, followed by Enter.
- After the command prompt opens, type the following command,
- C:\ ProgramData\AvastSoftware\Avast and enter.
- A new folder will open,
- Now find and open the file:
- Insert the following command:
[GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999
- Now click on the save button to save the changes.
- Restart your PC, and now the behavior shield is no longer active.
READ: Asus Router Login
Update Avast Antivirus
Sometimes running with the older version of Antivirus can cause a behavior shield to make high CPU usage. This happens due to the fact that the shield is no longer updated with the latest database of viruses. Keeping the Avast Antivirus Updated can be the solution to the problem. Also since the bugs of high CPU usage due to Avast appears in the 2018 version. Updating the Avast Antivirus to the latest 2019 or 2020 version can solve the problem.
image source: silicophilic.com
Here are the steps with which you can update Avast antivirus,
- In the Avast Dashboard,
- Click on the Update tab from the left side of the screen.
- There are two options available, One of them is for virus definitions and another one is for the software.
- Click on both the Options one by one and simply Update the Avast Antivirus Completely.
Disable Avast Screen Saver Scanning
Avast Antivirus has the feature of computer scanning while the PC is in Screen Saver mode. Screen Saver mode runs the background check when the PC goes into standby. But sometimes even after resuming the Windows 10 to work, it still continues with the scanning in the background. This uses the resources like memory and processor to cause high CPU usage due to behavior Shield in Avast.
Turn Off the Screen Saver Scanning from Avast following the steps below.
- Right-click on any random file and in the opened menu, select the option to scan it with Avast antivirus.
- It would open a scan result window where you would be able to see which scans are currently running on your PC.
- Find the Avast screen saver scan and click on the stop button to stop the scan.
- Check your CPU usage, it should solve your problem.
Repair Avast From Control Panel
This is the ultimate and the last option left if any of the other options do not solve your problem. You can simply repair or reinstall the fresh copy of Avast Antivirus which can solve all the related errors of high CPU usage. Follow the steps to repair Avast Antivirus using the windows control panel.
image source: forums.microsoft.com
- Log in from the admin account of your PC.
- Go to the control panel of Windows 10.
- In the control panel, with the option available in the right sight of the window, set the view as the category.
- Click on the option ‘Uninstall a program’ which you will find under the programs section.
- Now, Locate Avast in the programs and click on uninstall/Repair.
- After the Avast UninstallerOpens, you can either repair or remove the Avast Antivirus from your PC.
- Click on the Repair Option and Click on Repair Avast.
- Click yes on the confirmation dialogue and wait for the process to finish.
- Restart the PC after the process is over.